Tuesday, February 27, 2001 The University Daily Kansan Section B·Page 5 Earnhardt team earns another tearful win The Associated Press ROCKINGHAM, N.C. — The company that carries Dale Earnhardt's name is unbeaten on the NASCAR circuit this season. Sadly, the mentor wasn't around to see another of his students lock up the team's second win in as many races. "It was emotional," Steve Park said yesterday afternoon, standing in Victory Lane at The Rock. "I had tears coming down the last couple of laps." But then I had to kind of wipe my nose and get back up on the steering wheel," he added, "'cause that's what Dale would have wanted me to do." That has become the mantra for an entire sport, the reason NASCAR officials and drivers went directly from Earnhardt's memorial service in Charlotte to the garages at the North Carolina Speedway, some two hours to the east. A return to the familiar rhythms of work, a chance to climb back into their cars NASCAR and try to impose order on the chaotic world of speed — "That," they all said, "is what Dale would have wanted us to do." The opposite appeared to be true about the Dura Lube 400, the first NASCAR event in two decades to go off without Earnhardt in the field. A first-lap crash wrecked Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s car and sent a shiver through the sporting world not long before a rainstorm Sunday forced officials to put off the finish until the next day. That ensured there would be no Earnhardt running in the race, period. Except. Before he died in a last-lap crash at Daytona nine days ago, Earnhardt had already grudgingly made preparations for the conclusion of his own driving career. Four years ago he started Dale Earnhardt Inc., envisioning DEI as a way to stay close to the sport while guaranteeing his kids, Dale Jr. and Kerry, a well-funded team to support their own racing careers. But as in everything the 49-year-old Earnhardt ever did, his competitive instincts took over. He signed an extension during the offseason to continue driving for the team owned by lifelong friend Richard Childress, but that didn't stop Earnhardt from securing the same kind of quality equipment and crew members for DEL. And when he went out to hire drivers, he wasn't prepared to lower the standard, either. "When you're associated with Dale Earnhardt," Park said, "it's not about running second. You do not get a pat on the back for running second." Michael Waltrip didn't win in 15 years and 462 races on the NASCAR circuit, but he won the biggest race of them all, the Daytona 500, in his first race for DEI. Park caught Earnhardt's eye with an impressive performance in a minor-league race at Watkins Glen, N.Y., but what cinched his hiring was a 20 percent winning rate with hopelessly outdated machines. "If I had to sum it up in one word, it would be desire," Park said. "He knew if he could put the right people and equipment in place, I had the desire. That was very important to him. "He hired Michael and I." Park added, "but he produced Dale." One version of the events surrounding Earnhardt's death at Daytona suggests he was running interference for his son, who finished second, and Waltrip once he realized he couldn't win himself. But those he knew Earnhardt best found it hard to imagine him doing anything besides trying to hang onto third place — by his fingernails if need be. On the last turn of the last lap of yesterday's race, Park was running out of gas and struggling to hold off defending race winner and reigning Winston Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte. They began battling each other heading into the first turn and it took all the wiles Park had gleaned from his time with Earnhardt to hold off the more experienced Labonte. By the time Labonte took his final shot in turn 4, only inches separated the front left fender of his Pontiac from the right rear wheel of Park's Chevrolet. It had turned into a game of "chicken." "We got together off turn 4, and brushed the wall with the right rear of my car," said Labonte, who backed off and finished second. "If I'd been further up beside him, I might have stayed in it." But a moment later, he acknowledged, "If I'd stayed there, both of us would have wrecked." Someone asked Park what would have happened if The Intimidator had been behind him instead of Labonte. Park didn't hesitate. "There would have been one hell of a wreck." he said. Sosa plays ball while Cubs ponder new contract The Associated Press MESA, Ariz. — Sammy Sosa strolled into the Chicago Cubs clubhouse with a big grin on his face and hugs for anyone within reach. It wasn't long before the thumping and bumping beat of salsa music filled a clubhouse that's been boardroom quiet this spring. Yes, folks, Sammy Sosa is here. Fashionably late — as usual — but definitely here. "What's up fellas? Welcome to my house," he said as he reported to camp yesterday — a day before the mandatory report date and six days after the rest of the Cubs regulars. While Gary Sheffield and Frank Thomas's sulky demands for new contracts have cast ugly shadows across their camps, don't read anything into Sosa's delayed arrival. It's become a rite of spring, like the Cactus League's answer to the groundhog. Let other people worry about the ongoing negotiations for a contract extension. Sosa has other things on his mind. "I came here to be happy and play baseball," he said. "Whatever happens, happens. But right now I'm not thinking about is this going to happen, is it not going to happen. Whatever happens, God bless. "I'm here to do a job. I'm here to be a leader, to be a team leader, whatever it's going to take for me to play here." With Michael Jordan gone and Thomas as fan-friendly as stale popcorn, Sosa is the only sports icon Chicago has. Shrieks of "SAM-MEE!" greet him wherever he goes, and fans jump to their feet when they see him racing out to right field, tapping his chest and blowing kisses. But many fans are growing weary of multimillionaire athletes asking for more money, and not even Sosa is exempt. He heard a smattering of boos at the Cubs Convention earlier this month, and there have been critical letters in the local papers. "A lot of people want to complain, but if they really (were in my shoes), they probably would be doing the same thing I do, maybe worse." Sosa said. Sosa is looking for a longterm extension to his $42.5 million, four-year contract that expires after this season. Though his agents and Andy MacPhail, the Cubs president and general manager, express optimism something will work out, they're a long way from signing a deal. Sosa is believed to be looking for a six-year deal that would pay him $20 million a year, while the Cubs want a four-year deal for between 17-18 million per season. Adam Katz and Tom Reich, Sosa's agents, were at the Cubs camp yesterday, but they were there to see Sosa, not haggle with MacPhail. There's no date for further negotiations, but Katz said the two sides will be talking. "When dust settles, people realize that it's been a good relationship that should be perpetuated," Reich said. "I also think it has something to do with the quality of dialogue that has existed. It's cordial and professional. That always improves your chances." It also helps that Sosa wants to stay with the Cubs. "At the end of the story, I feel pretty good about the fact that Sammy will be here because Sammy wants to be here," Reich said. "He wants to be here. He's had quite an affair here with the town and with Cub fans." "Regardless of what happens, inside the field, I want to take care of business," he said. "Outside the field, I don't have control of anything that happens." Sosa was distracted by contract talks and a near-trade last summer, and he's vowed the same thing won't happen this year. Sosa: happy to be playing despite contract questions So there was Sosa, bopping around the clubhouse and the field with a big smile on face. As the Cubs walked out for their morning stretch with fitness guru Mack Newton, Sosa put his arm around manager Don Baylor and posed for pictures. And when Newton couldn't find the CD he wanted. Sosa spoke up. "Hey, you need my CD?" he yelled He gamedy went through Newton's hourlong, bootcamp-like stretching routine, and took a seat up front for Newton's daily pep talk afterward. When the team split up, Sosa hooted as he bounded away. While the rest of the Cubs took live batting practice, Sosa worked in the batting cage with hitting coach Jeff Pentland. Then he wandered over to the bench on one of the fields to watch BP, joke with teammates and sign autographs for dozens of fans. The Cubs start spring training games Thursday, but Baylor doesn't expect Sosa to be in the lineup until next week. "I'm glad he's here," Baylor said. "Knowing him, he'll get ready in a hurry." And Sosa intends to. He's got big plans for this year. "I'm happy because I know we're going to have a chance this year," he said. "We've been making a lot of moves, a lot of improvements." "I have a good feeling everything's going to be OK." Thomas holds out, wants higher pay The Associated Press TUCSON, Ariz. — Frank Thomas, still thinking he's underpaid at $9.9 million per year, was scheduled to meet with Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf yesterday to discuss his salary complaints. Thomas has refused to practice with the team and has missed six days of workouts. The mandatory reporting date is today, according to baseball's labor agreement. "I don't know who initiated the meeting, but it's always good to see if someone has a disagreement they are able to sit down and discuss it," White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said yesterday. As he stood around one of the team's practice diamonds, Reinsdorf refused to comment on Thomas or the meeting, which was announced on the team's Web site. Thomas' agent, Michael Moye, was not available for comment. A person answering the phone in his Atlanta office said he could be headed to Tucson today. That's when Manuel hopes Thomas will reappear for the first time since last Wednesday, when he took a physical and then left the building before a team meeting. "Tomorrow is the mandatory date for reporting, so hopefully he shows," said Manuel, who's had two telephone conversations with Thomas. Thomas is scheduled to make $9,927,000 in each of the next six seasons under a deal he signed in September 1997, but only this year is guaranteed. Under a clause in Thomas' contract, if Thomas isn't an All-Star, fails to finish in the top 10 in MVP voting and Thomas batted .328 with 43 homers and 143 RBI last season following two sub-par years. At the time he signed the extension, it gave him the 10th-highest average salary in baseball. fails to win a Silver Slugger, the White Sox can change his salary to $250,000 plus $10,125,000 deferred. Thomas, in turn, could then terminate the contract and elect to become a free agent. Now he lags far behind, especially after the $252 million, 10-year deal signed by Alex Rodriguez. Thomas said he deserved to be in the upper echelon of salaries. When Manuel saw Thomas on Wednesday, he said he thought the 11-year veteran was in the best shape he'd seen him. Before he left Wednesday, Thomas told reporters he'd used diet and running to lose eight pounds and build a leaner physique. If and when Thomas returns, Manuel said he expected him to address the core of the team about his actions. He said the players could handle it in their own way and move on. "It's still very, very early in spring training, and I don't foresee a problem with him in his conditioning," Manuel said. Notes: The White Sox held their first intrasquad game. One of the highlights was a beautiful throw from rightfielder Joe Borchard, the team's top draft pick and a former Stanford quarterback, to cut down speedy Chris Singleton at the plate. "I'm disappointed for Frank," Manuel said. "The team is going to be fine. I think he'll come back and have a great season." Cardinals still cautious with Ankiel's wild arm The Associated Press UPITER, Fla. — The St. Louis Cardinals, continuing the cautious approach with left-hander Rick Ankiel, won't use him in the first five spring training games. However, an early "B" game appearance is a possibility, as Ankiel continues to try to recover from last year's postseason, when he threw nine wild pitches in four innings. Most of 'Ankiel's workouts have been held early in the morning, away from the media. Aside from one bad workout, the 21-year-old is making progress, pitching coach Dave Duncan said yesterday. "He's doing well," Duncan said. "We are very happy with his progress. He's getting close." The next step for Ankiel is pitching batting practice. If that goes well, he should be ready for "B" games here against the Montreal Expos on March 4 and March 9. "We are hoping he will be ready to pitch in both of them," Duncan said. Right-hander Dustin Hermanson, acquired for third baseman Fernando Tatis in an off-season trade with the Expos, will pitch the spring opener Friday afternoon against the Baltimore Orioles. He was 12-14 with a 4.77 earned run average last season. Tentative plans call for Hermanson to be followed by four veteran right-handers. It will be Darryl Kile and Andy Benes here Saturday and Sunday against the Expos, Alan Benes Monday against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Vero Beach and Matt Morris here Tuesday against the Houston Astros. Kile was the ace of the staff for the National League Central champions in 2000, going 20-9 with a 3.91 ERA. Andy Benes was 12-9 but missed much of the last month or so with a knee injury. Alan Benes and Morris were considering rising stars before injuries sidelined them. Alan Benes missed nearly two full seasons after two shoulder operations before coming back in late 1999. Morris missed all of 1999 and early 2000 with an elbow injury. Both pitched strictly in relief last season as the Cardinals tried to nurse them along. Both are expected to compete for starting jobs this season. Dick Schaap shows laughs life in book The Associated Press At least he can laugh about it. NEW YORK — Dick Schaap drops names faster than some ballplayers drop popups. In 300 pages of the book version, he offers minuscule introspection and maximum one-liners. Yet, the book works. In a way, his writings aren't a microscope on his life, they're a mirror. "It's about athletes and actresses, cops and comedians, politicians and just people — the eclectic mix that made almost every day of my life seem like a fantasy," he says on the ESPN version of his autobiography, which airs for the first time tonight. "I collect people. All these stories were locked up inside me," he said in a raspy voice one morning during breakfast at a midtown Manhattan delicatessen. His book, Dick Schaap: Flashing Before My Eyes, pokes fun at himself starting with the cover, which boldly states: "As told to Dick Schaap." Same. books — he's written more than 30 — in which speed was as significant as substance. Sure, he likes to make sure people know he's golfed with presidents. Sure, he surrounded himself with Muhammad Ali and Billy Crystal on his book cover. He was as comfortable with Lenny Bruce as with Lenny Dykstra. By being next to celebrities, he became one. "Have I broken the world record for name-dropping yet?" he says on the TV show, which includes teary music from Cinema Paradiso to enhance a segment with one of his favorite players, ex-pitcher Bill Lee. Almost anyone would sound self-centered with such a schick. Not Schaap. Everything he says is with an aw-shucks attitude, even when he jokes about his two ex-wives and makes his alimony payments seem like Olympics rights fees. "I'm basically an egomaniac," he joked last week on a telephone conference call. Then came the kicker — "99 percent of the punch lines come from the people involved." Yet, sports is the central theme of his life. "I've gotten to know the heroes of my youth and the villains," said the born Brooklynite, with Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca in mind, "and I've gotten to know how thin the line is between them." As a kid, he watched them. Now he takes them to dinner. In the 1960s, he worked in an era that doesn't exist much today, when athletes and reporters didn't just spar in the clubhouse, but caroused together in clubs. The 66-year-old Schaap says his son, Jeremy, who also works for ESPN, doesn't have the kind of access he did in his youth. "Most athletes are certainly wary of what's going to be said or painted or written in the press," said Joe Namath, one of Schaap's buddies. "They're afraid." Schaap remembers that before the 1969 Super Bowl, when he wanted to speak with the New York Jets quarterback, he just walked up to the hotel pool in Miami Beach, Fla. "We still have a trust. Now, that's a very difficult thing to create or to have with people that are in the media," Namath said, adding that players "don't act real — they're on stage on the time. ... They just clam up because they are paranoid about everyone." colorado ski trips spring break 2001 ater Park • Keystone Bridge • Copper Mo ater Park • Keystor Dates: March 16-20 2001 Park $360.00 - Winter Park...$360.00 - Keystone, Breckenridge, Conner Copper...$375.00 Prices include transportation, lodging, and lift tickets K. C. Tours & Travel 913.492.3965 Organizations and Leadership Lecture Series 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, February 28, 2001 Pioneer Room, Burge Union Motivating Others with your 'True Colors' - Be able to assess others natural personality styles - Learn about personality styles - How best to work with individuals with different styles and how this affects group dynamics - How to motivate your membership to work to its full potential. "Interactive, laughter, and informative" have been words to describe this session. Presenters: Angle Carr, Coordinator for Greek Programs, O&L