1. VOL.101, No. 110 THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAI KANSAS STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY TOPEKA, KS 66612 THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 1991 ADVERTISING: 864-4358 (USPS 650-640) NEWS: 864-4810 Executions fail to quell Iraqi opposition The Associated Press Saddam expels foreign reporters as attention focuses on dissension SAFWAN, Iraq — Forces loyal to Saddam Hussein executed scores of opponents in a single day, but the Iraqi leader has not succeeded in crushing the opposition movement, Iraqis from the south of the country said yesterday. In this mine-strewn and war-ragged corner of Iraq now occupied by allied forces, several local residents urged President Bush to stop the attack at least long enough to tonne Saddam. There was confusion over the extent of Republican Guard control of Basra, Iraq's second-largest city just 22 miles from here. One man who left Basra yesterday morning said Saddam's top fighters were now in Iraq, and their said they controlled only certain districts. The U.S. government said Wednesday that it appeared that Iraqi forces were back in control of Basra after Republican Guard units unsuppressed Saddam riots. Residents reported demonstration Wednesday in Rinara and just south of lighting in the area. Karbala and Najaf, both Shiite Muslim holy sites northwest of Basra up the valleys of the city. "Every day the opposition becomes bigger," said a local farmer who left Basra early yesterday to walk home with his family. He identified himself only as Hassan. Hassan said there was also opposition in the southern towns of Samaneh, Nasiriyah, Diwaniyah, Muthena, Amarah and Shemonya. Hussein Ali Kazem, 22, a student and farmer who left Basa on Wednesday, said an anti-Saddam protest by about 1,000 people earlier Wednesday was followed by the public execution of about 400 opposition members. In other news, Iraq is expelling all foreign reporters as the focus of world interest turns to internal dissent and the government's efforts to quell it. The Iraqi government made no announcement of the decision, but yesterday state-run Representatives of news organizations in Baghdad said their reporters and crews had been attacked by militants. Baghdad Radio accused the Western press of invasion and the economic gain achieved by the Iraqi and the Arab "They offer you a delicious plate of lies mixed with facts and poison mixed with reason." Baghdad Radio said. Government officials in Baghdad indicated privately that the move was aimed at giving a rest to exhausted Information Ministry officials who monitor foreign reporters. Iraqi officials in previous years have invited large groups of journalists to cover events in Baghdad, and then asked them to leave days later as the Information Ministry officials assigned to accompany them grew haggard. But some reporters speculated that the move might foreshadow a government crackdown on dissent, or at least indicate a shift in power. They were no longer in the government's interest. The expulsion followed reports from outside Iraq quoting refugees and dissidents describing rebellions against the Iraqi government. Cheney: soldiers may return soon probably faster than first planned The Associated Press WASHINGTON — U.S. troops will be streaming home from the Persian gulf at a pace of 5,000 a day barring a new outbreak of fighting, Defense Secretary Dick Cheney said yesterday. Freed U.S. prisoners of war will return almost immediately, and Sunday ceremony at Andrews Air Force Base near Washington, the Pentagon said. Cheney, in an interview, outlined chances for a far speedier return for most of the 540,000 U.S. troops that had been disclosed, one that could be accomplished by the daily 4 date President Bush has set as the goal of celebration for our returning troops. The defense secretary disclosed the plan as Pentagon representative Pete Williams said all the U.S. POWs who had been held by Iraq would be returning on a single plane within a few days, perhaps as early as Sunday to the Maryland base outside the capital. Twenty-one American POWs have been released. Meanwhile, Secretary of State James Baker was flying to the gulf area to explore what White House press secretary Martin Fitzwater called a new chance, a opportunity to move toward a broader Middle East bridging Arab-Israeli differences. En route, Baker told them he would be willing to meet with Palestinian Arabs in Israel after talks in Saudi Arabia with his foreign minister, and his foreign minister, Prince Saud. Tribute honors gulf casualties Baker indicated that he wanted to get Israel and the Palestinians talking with each other and see if Israel and the Arab community could build confidence-building steps toward peace. Fort Riley memorial service prompts prayers, tears and feelings of pride FORT RILEY — After three single rifle shots sounded, a lone trumpet played the slow, mournful refrain of *British Foot Soldier*. By Sarah Davis Kansan staff writer "Taps" at Fort Riley yesterday in tribute to its 18 soldiers who died in the Persian Gulf War. More than 1,700 people, including friends and supporters of the troops and the family members of four dead soldiers, hanged on the base, silently listening. On a day filled with mixed emotions of pride and sadness, many tears were shed. Maj. Sap Rizzo, clad in army fatigues, stood isolated from the crowd. After the tribute he took off his uniform and wiped the tears from his eyes. He stood on a stage backdropped by a 40-foot U.S. flag, flanked by flags representing each state. Col. Gary L. LaGrange, installation commander, was one of six people who spoke in honor of the men and women who served in the war. LaGrange read the names of the soldiers who died and said they would always be remembered. "Today we gather under this flag, under God, to honor those soldiers who served their country for us." LaGrange said. "We sent them away under our flag, and today we remember their office, their love and their courage." "We will never forget," he said. "May God bless each and every one of you." A prayer urging family members of the deceased to have the strength to continue was conducted along with the army for the armed forces and the country. Col. Marion Pember, Fort Riley post chapain, said, "We are honoring and remembering those who died, and for some of us, that is all we can do. I have the sense of loss and grieving for the family members." He said that people were eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 175 lst Infantry Division soldiers who were 'Today we gather under this flag, under God, to honor those soldiers who served their country for us. We sent them away under our flag, and today we remember their sacrifice.' - Col. Larry LaGrange installation commander expected to return home tonight. They are expected to arrive at Forbes Field at 7 onight and be taken to the airport for a welcome home ceremony. "I have a sense that the American people are behind this and ready to welcome the soldiers back," Pember said. Pfc. Siec Owen said that she was looking forward to the troops coming home but that she did not want to forget those who had died. "I pray for their families," she said. "It was very sad. My heart goes out to the soldiers. God bless them — they died for a good cause." Owen, a petite 21-year-old, was in the gulf for five months and arrived back in the United States on Jan. 20. "I'd go back急 if I had to," she said. "This is my country and I fight for it, but I'm glad to be home and glad to be safe." During his speech, Pember said that many people did not understand why Operation Desert Storm was necessary. "Those we honor today are great Americans because they were willing to die for a cause in which they believed. They brought our world closer together than ever been. The greatest voices for peace are those we honored today." Even though the support of many soldiers was answered with death, Pember said they would never be used for their courageous efforts in the war. "The mind is filled with questions that seem to have no answers," he said. Above: Chaplain Lt. Colonel Thomas Decker leads the invocation at the beginning of a memorial service at Fort Riley to honor the 18 soldiers of the 1st infantry Division (Mechanized) who gave their lives in the Persian Gulf War. An M-16 covered by an infantry helmet stands in tribute to those soldiers. Left: First infantry division troops sing a hymn in memory of their fallen comrades. Bias-related crimes may be registered for the first time By Katie Chipman New federal regulations asking police officers to specify whether crimes were bias-related may show an increase in the numbers of hate crimes reported, Lawrence police Stg. Kevin Harmon said. Kansan staff writer Harmon said that next year police officers would classify bias-related incidents in the new category, which would include racial crimes as well as crimes committed against gay and lesbian people. KU police Lt. John Mullens said, "We have had reports of harassing phone calls, but no physical violence against gays and lesbians. We've had incidents of criminal damage don’t to property as well." “An example of a hate-crime might be the KKK spray-painting. That looks to me like a hatecrime.” Mullens said an example of a bias-related crime against gays and lesbians occurred last October when an information booth on Jayhawk Boulevard was vandalized. The booth had displayed posters celebrating National Coming Out Day. Mike Sullivan. treasurer of GLSOK, said, "Violence isn't increasing, but awareness of it is." Sullivan said he thought GLOSK was creating an atmosphere in which gay and lesbian people felt uncomfortable, reporting crimes against them. He said the violence that did exist made gay and lesbian people more aware of the changes that were taking place in education that needed to be taught. "There is an increase in violent acts and discrimination, but not all crimes are violent," he said. "There's passive discrimination against gay and lesbian people as well." KU graduate to return from Persian Gulf, pregnant wife awaits him in Leavenworth By Nedra Beth Randolph Kansan staff writer Bill Sheehy, 1988 KU graduate, is coming home from the Persian gulf. Sheechy's wife, Marcia, does not think he could come home soon enough. "I just hope he gets here before the baby does," she said. The Sheehys, who now live in Leavenworth, are expecting their first child any day. Their baby was due last week, she said. Her husband is due home today. "We have no idea exactly when Bill will get here because that's the way it goes with the military," she said. He already has had one delay on his journey back to Kansas from Saud Arabia, Kuwait and Iraq, he says. The return have been nested on camus. Marcia Sheehy But getting Sheehy home before 'I just hope he gets here before the baby does.' the baby is born was not something that either of the expecting parents had planned on. After Sheeby was sent to the gulf Aug. 6, Marcia prepared to have the baby, which she is a girl, without her husband. "We sure didn't expect him to be home so soon," she said. "I wasn't going to believe it until he came home." Dave Platt, resident director of Joseph R. Pearson Hall, said he lived on the same floor with Sheehy at JRP for two years and was a mascot with him for three years. Sheehy was the big Javahawk mascot for four years. "It looks like the timing might work out perfectly for the baby and Bill." Platt said. Marcia said they met on campus at the University of Kansas when she was visiting from Kansas State University. Besides being the Jayhawk mascot and a floor director at JRP, Sheeby was also an Army ROTC commander. Rosalie Fulks, records clerk in the Army ROTC department, said she remembered Sheehy vividly. "When I was at the games, Bill would be all dressed up as the Jayhawk and he used to see me and yell, 'Rosalie, Rosale! real loud to embarrass me.' she said. "He was a lot of fun around here." Fulks said she was thrilled to hear that Sheehy was expecting his first child and that he was coming back to the United States.