VOL. 101, NO.81 THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS ADVERTISING: 864-4358 MONDAY, JANUARY 28, 1991 (301303340) U.S. says use of ground forces probable NEWS:864-4810 The Associated Press DHAHRAN, Saudi Arabia — U.S. ground forces will be ready to attack the Iraqi army within a month, and an air strike seems to have thwarted Iraq's effort to flood the Persian Gulf with more oil. U.S. officials said On the ground. U.S. Marines learned how to negotiate deadly minelinks and penetrate elaborate fortifications. Afterward, they crowded around radios and televisions (or Super Bowl XXV. yesterday. Massive allied bombing raids continued over Iraq, and in one dogfight two U.S. warplanes downed four Iraq fighters, they said issued a virtual against Eggy ers, they said. In Iraq, Baghdad issued a virtual assassination threat against Egyptian President Hosni Mutarak. At an air base munitions bunker in Dhahran, Tech Sgt Lee James had to settle for non-alcoholic beer instead of the Budweiser he wanted as he and 30 other men watched the game. Their Super Bowl suits consisted of bulky chemical protective gear with gas masks strapped to the hip. President Bush and his wife, Barbara, saluted the troops during a videotaped message televised during halftime ceremonies. Defense Secretary Dick Cheney said U.S. soldiers would be prepared before the end of February to launch the ground offensive. Cheney said that although relent. less allied air attacks against Iraq had been successful, they alone would not drive Iraq from Kuwait. If all servicemen and women in the region were used, such a confrontation would pit 743,000 allied troops, including 480,000 Americans, against 540,000 Iraqi soldiers in and near occupied Kuwait. "We've always assumed that we would eventually have to send in ground forces." Cheney said. Coalition air forces took advantage of clear skies over Iraq to send wave after wave of warplanes on more bombing sorties in the 11-day-old conflict, war started, the allies have flown more than 22,000 sorties, officials said. Baghdad radio yesterday denounced Mubarak, the key U.S. ally in the gulf, as a frightened man who could be assassinated by his own people. "The Egyptian people, who have a rich legacy of Arabism, struggle, and history, have said their word and issued their verdict on . . . Hosni," it said. "They carried out their verdict on his predecessor al-Sadat. Hence, Hosni's date with death will not be far away." Former Egyptian president Anwar Sadat, who signed the Camp David Peace accord with Israel in 1979, was killed in a bombing fundamen talis in October 1981. Peter Arnett, the lone correspondent for a U.S. TV network remaining in Baghdad, reported yesterday that some sections of the capital now had water and may soon have electrical power. Air attack may slow spill, but danger to gulf persists The Associated Press MANAMA, Bahrain — A U.S. attack to stunch the world's largest oil spill may stop crude from flowing into the Persian Gulf. But a major spill will cause grave environment harm and could foul drinking water. The spill will slaughter turtles, dolphins, whales, sea cows and birds, according to experts and government officials. The fishing industry could be ruined for a decade or longer. The spill, allegedly caused by Iraqi forces at the Sea Island Terminal off the Kuwait coast, contains 250 million to 335 million gallons of oil and stretches over an area 35 miles long and 10 miles wide. said Cochmored Kem Summers, commander of Canada's gulf forces. Secondary slicks brought the length to about 85 miles. Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopt, commander of Operation Desert Storm, announced last night that U.S. warplanes blew an oil pipeline leading to the terminal to stop Iraq from pumping crude into the gulf from onshore storage tanks holding nearly 600 million gallons. In a report cleared by Iraqi censors, Arnett said he was taken to a Baghdad hospital and told by the胆 surgeon that the stock of blood, antibiotics and other medical supplies had been depleted as a result of allied bombing. Videotape taken after the attack indicated much less oil was flowing from the loading buoy, Schwarzkopf said. Desalination and electrical plants, oil refineries and petrochemical installations, meanwhile, are scrambling to protect themselves from the approaching goo and leaks from the ground plants on land and down the coast. The Norwegian, anti-pollution tanker A1 Wasit, the first commercial vessel to involve itself in the fight, readied to leave the gulf port of Abu Dhabi. The tanker can swallow a half-mile of slick a day. Sources in Saudi Arabia said the tanker would protect Saudi Arabia's critical desalination and electrical plant at Jubail. The plant, the biggest in the world, processes millions of drinking water a day. its owners say. The United States on Saturday accused Iraq of waging indiscriminate environmental war for creating an uninhabitable environment than the Exxon Valdez disaster. However, allied officials contended that the slick would not hamper military operations in the northern gulf, where a U.S. Marine landing to drive the Iraqis out of Kuwait is considered a possibility. Six U.S. government oil spill experts left the United States for Saudi Arabia early yesterday to assist the Saudis in the effort to contain the slick, but experts say little can be done. Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of Operation Desert Storm, said all pilots were taking great risks, especially flying low to the ground, to make sure their bombs did not cause civilian casualties. Gulf oil slick moving along Saudi coast Millions of gallons of oil spilled off the Kuwaiti coast Friday have created a slick more than 30 miles long and eight miles wide. ... proud of the young men who are out there and willing to do that in order to minimize damage of this nature," he said. "And I think we should be pretty Schwarzkopf said that two F-15s shot down four Iraqi MiG-23 yesterday southeast of Baghdad. He said no day Knight-Ridder Tribune News U. S. planes were lost. KU Student Senate may retract limits on election budgets "We also continue to isolate his forces in the Kuwait theatre of operation," Schwarzkopf said. "We're continuing to successfully attack many of the key bridges going into that area." Bv Michael Christie Kansan staff writer Curt Wiegarnear, chairperson of the Senate Election Commission, said the commission planned to release the revised rules this afternoon and then be finalized after a public hearing to elicit comment in the coming weeks. There soon will be no limit to the amount Student Senate candidates or coalitions are allowed to spend on campaigns if the revised version of Senate election rules and regulations is finalized. Instead of a mandatory limit on spending, the commission will decide on a suggested limit, he said. Candidates or coalitions will have the option of following the suggested limit. Ten school days before the elections, candidates will be required to submit a budget following either the suggested limit or their own limit. They then will be required to follow thebudget. Winearner said. will help to solve two problems, he said. The commission does not want money to be the deciding factor in an illegal case, doesn't want to risk illegal limits. The constitutionality of mandatory limits on campaigns has been questioned in the past in governmental elections, and the suggested limit "We want to strike a balance between those two concerns," Wine-garner said. The new rules will require candidates to report to the commission regarding their campaign activities on four different occasions, he said. The desired result of the changes will be more honesty in disclosure of campaign financing and activities by the government and coalitions, Winegarner said. By allowing candidates to set their own limits but still requiring that a budget be followed, the elections committee will be able to have a better grasp of campaign activities, he said. "I think the reasoning behind these rules is extremely sound," he said. "I can't express enough how good I think these rules are." Pat Warren, StudEx chairperson, said he thought the changes were positive. Troop support Ellen Kimmel, McLouth junior, lays flowers in front of the Vietnam Memorial in honor of U.S. troops in the Middle East. Kimmel was one of about 200 students who turned out Friday to show their support for the troops. Brian T. Schoeni/KANSAN > See story Page 3 Congressmen explain gulf policy votes Dole and Slattery speak to groups in Lawrence this weekend By Joe Gose Kansan staff writer People concerned about Congress' vote to back the president's Persian Gulf policy had a chance to hear two leaders in person during the weekend. Rep. Jim Slattery talked about the same issue Saturday at the St Lawrence Catholic Campus Center. He said it was unfortunate that onpronounced by 50 angry constituents. On Friday, Sen. Bole Dole addressed the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce at the Holiday Inn Holland Center. He received three standing ovations. Both men voted to back the president and reaffirm the U.N. resolution authorizing the use of force against Iraq if necessary. "I voted for peace; I didn't vote for war, and I wanted a peaceful settlement." Dole said to a crowd of about 100 people we were taking a step toward peace. "Over the weeks I had constant visits with Iraqi Ambassador Mohamed Al-Mashat, and immediately after the vote in the Senate, invited him to my office. I took 10 senators with me, Republican and Democrat, and tried to impress upon him, one final time, that time for a 'I believed we were taking a step toward peace.' Senator Bob Dole "You've got to keep struggling with this one and make certain that you're on the right track," he said. "And I've said publicly that I’m not certain it’s worth the life of one American to put the Emir back on the throne. But it seems to me, naked aggression, we cannot tolerate." peaceful settlement was running out "I think he finally realized this was for real." Slattery said he voted to support the resolutions because he thought that Saddam Hussein was a uniquely evil person and that economic sanctions would not work. He also said that he had been depended on oil, the country could face depression and revolution if Saddam controlled that much oil. Dole also said that the issue was not black and white and that part of it was economic. Slattery also spoke about actions the United Nations should take after the conflict ended. "The number one priority is to organize a regional peace conference. After speaking to the Chamber, Dole listened to a panel of eight people voice their concerns in an informal meeting, where he also said the Israeli-Palestine issue would have to be confronted. to address the Palestinian issue,'" he said. "I think Israel understands that we're not going to be able to go back to the U.S. and veto everything because we WULD lose our credibility," he said. "Let's face it, there has been a double standard." Both Dole and Slattery also expressed concern about future U.S. arms sales to nations in the gulf region. He added that there had been a double standard in the past concerning U.N. resolutions against Israel. Reaction to the congressmen was mixed. Richard Colyer, associate professor of English, attended the informal meetin. "He was very kind and cooperative, but the key is that he listened to what we had to say," said Colyer, a member of the Lawrence Coatition that opposes climate change. "I expect to change his mind, but I was pleased at the degree of listening." Aida Dabbas, Amman, Jordan. Dole speaks about his vote to support President Bush in the war with Iraq. Dabbas was not impressed with Slattery. graduate student and president of Voice, a campus peace group, attended both meetings. "Dole admitted the U.S. has been supporting a double standard," she said. "And he also admitted that the issue was larger than the freedom of speech." "He didn't give any answers," she said. "He explained how great his voting record had been. It sounded like he was on the campaign trail. I think he insulted a lot of people's intelligence." Bv Joe Gose Prof says that coming desert storms offer chance for peace The professor, Richard Colyer, associate professor of English and member of the Lawrence Coalition for Peace and Justice, mentioned the subject to both Sen. Robert Dole and Rep. Jim Slattery at informal meetings during the weekend. Kansan staff writer One KU professor thinks the coming desert sandstorms in the Middle East could provide the environment to fire and an Arab peace conference. Colyer said that the storms would start in three weeks and that no fighting would be possible because of limited visibility. "Given that, could you support a Senate resolution calling for an immediate Arab peace conference without participation by the United States?" he asked Dole during a meeting Friday. He also said that remarks made by Iranian President Hashemi Rafsanjiani that the U.S.-led forces had overstepped the U.N. resolutions were an indication that the Arab countries were not going to maintain their commitment to the coalition. Dole said, "Israel has to realize you can't kill Palestinians. If there is a way to figure out a weapon, then the gulf region, I am all for it." When Colyer brought up the idea to Slattery on Saturday at the St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center, the congressman asked for it in writing and said he would see what he could do. "At this point in history, if we're serious about a new world order, it ought to come out of Congress, not the White House," Colyer said. The plantman is indicating that the Arabian wants something done right now. "The thing we're trying to make clear to the American people is that the people seeking a peaceful solution are not failing to be patriotic. They support the troops over there, but we need a different approach to solve the problems, and Dole and Slattery agreed." Colyer said the Lawrence Coalition for Peace and Justice welcomed anyone who was frustrated by the lack of peace initiatives presently being sought to end the crisis.