Nation/World University Daily Kansan / Wednesday, January 16, 1991 7 Nation briefs Medellin, Colombia Drug cartel leader surrenders The No. 2 man in the Medellin drug cartel surrendered yesterday in exchange for the government's promise not to extradite him to United States, where he is wanted on drug charges. Ochoa's younger brother Fabio, also a cartel leader, surrendered Dec. 19 The man, Jorge Luis Ochoa, was in court in Medellin after turning himself in, the Caracol radio network reported. It said Ochoa also was involved in court treatment in exchange for his surrender. Pablo Escobar Gaviria, the top cartel leader, is fugitive. He was quoted recently as saying he also was considering surrender. By surrendering and confessing to at least one crime, Ochoa is assured he will not be extradited to the United States under an offer made in exchange for payment of bloody war between drug traffickers and police. Soviets storm police academy Soviet commanders stormed a Latvian police academy and seized weapons from cadets yesterday as a tide of unrest surged through the Baltics. Latvia, U.S.S.R. The commandos attacked Latvia's only police academy at 2 a.m. and took pistols, automatic weapons, snipers' rifles and grenade launchers to force the government to take defensive actions against the republic's government Some commandos arrived at the academy disguised as traffic police, talked their way past a night watchman and disarmed him. Latvian radio reported. Other commandos seized the cars and disarming the cadets and severely beating him, the report said. They left a short time later In Moscow, Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev clashed head-on with a hot-tempered military hard-Hiner who demanded that the Kremlin take further measures against the breakaway republics. Thousands at a Communist Party led rally in Ruga coerated for a pro-Kremlin group to take place. In Lithuania, a military helicopter circled parliament and workers dug a long trench behind the building to protect it from Soviet tanks. A government official said 80 people were missing after Sunday's military assault on the republic's television tower. Fourteen people are known to have been killed in the attack; 230 were injured. From The Associated Press Supreme Court decision could end forced busing The Associated Press WASHINGTON — School districts may end forced busing in favor of neighborhood schools even if it means a return to schools that are underperforming in race or white, the Supreme Court ruled yesterday. By a 5-3 vote, the court said federal judges should end their supervision of previously segregated public schools if court-ordered de-segregation has eliminated "the vestiges of past discriminatory practices." Offer that plan, 33 of the city's 64 elementary schools became racially segregated — with student populations at least 90 percent African-American or 90 percent white and other minorities. The decision set aside a federal appeals court ruling that would have forced the Oklahoma City school board to abandon a neighborhood schools program for students in kindergarten through fourth grade. The court sent the Oklahoma City case back to a federal trial judge for further study. Still pending before the justices are similar disputes from Atlanta, Denver and Topeka. The court could send those cases back to lower courts for further study in light of yesterday's decision The decision likely will make it easier for hundreds of other school districts nationwide to escape the court-ordered desegregation plans under which they now operate. Civil rights lawyers had urged the justice to uphold the appeals court ruling in the Oklahoma City case, arguing that allowing an end to court proceedings would result in resegregation of urban schools. "The court has struck a middle ground," said Teree Foster, a University of Oklahoma law professor. "This is not the drastic setback that many civil rights advocates had dreaded," she said. "But it does call into question the continued vitality of (Brown vs. Board of Education) principles in a society still beset by racial segregation in various forms." Gulf crisis draws attention from Chinese activist trials The Associated Press BEIJING — Two more activists went on trial yesterday for their roles in the pro-democracy movement in 1889, and Chinese sources said they were also charged with world attention was focused on the Persian Gulf. Notices outside Beijing Intermediate People's Court said separate trials were conducted for Bao Zunxin, a former researcher at the Chinese Academy of Social Science's History Institute, and Wang Haidong. It was not known if Wang was a student. The trials were not announced in advance and were closed to the public Another notice outside the court said six people were being tried for arson, robbery, stealing and blocking traffic. The notice gave no details, but it appeared likely the charges were linked to prodemonstrators, when residents blocked street set army vehicles on fire and took soldiers' weapons and uniforms. They recessed after a few hours and will reconvene when the verdicts are ready, a court official said. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, did not say when that might be. Bao and Wang were charged with counterrevolutionary propaganda and incitement, the charge being unjustified. The criminal code calls for prison terms of at least five years for serious offenders and at most five years for minor offenders. However, the government calls the leaders of the pro-democracy movement "black hands" and has sought lengthier prison terms for them. The army crushed the pro-democracy movement in June 1989. Many of those now being tried Several dozen people, including students and older intellectuals, are thought to be considered black hands. The first people from this group were sentenced Jan. 5, when four student leaders were given prison terms ranging from two to four years. Trials began last week for five other activists. Chinese sources say they think the government plans to try all the accused black hands before the Chinese New Year, which is Feb. 15. They think authorities have timed the trials to coincide with the confrontation in the gulf to minimize international attention and criticism Bao was arrested at his Beijing home in June 1989, and later fired from his job and expelled from the university. Asia Watch, a New York based human rights group, has quoted unofficial reports as saying he had been raped by an Israeli security officer. Surviving Subtle Sexism in the 90's Thursday, January 24,1991 7:00-9:00 p.m. Pine Room, Kansas Union Facilitated by: Dr. Barbara W. Ballard Associate Dean of Student Life and Director, Emily Taylor Women's Resource Center gonserved by the Emily Taylor Women's Resource Center, 118 High Street, or further information Katherine Kagamae at 864 3552 INVENTORY CLEARANCE Woolrich Parkas Woolirch 3-In-1 Jackets Woolirch Teton Jackets Patagonia Shelled Synchilla Jackets The North Face Goretex Triplex Anoraks All Down Vests Wm's Skirts and Jumpers Mn's & Wm's Wool & Corduoy Slacks Sweaters Chamols & Flannel Shirts Canvas & Cotton Long Sleeve Shirts Carhartt Acid Wash Jackets & Pants Carhartt Blue Jean & Black Hooded Jackets Knickers All Tights Bicycle Shorts & Jerseyts Bicycle Windfront Tights and Jackets $50 off 50% Off $50 off already marked down prices on 1990 and earlier model bicycles. For example: 1989 Trek 1000 Originally $499 NOW $375 1989 Blanchi Premio Originally $329 NOW $225 Ski Blbs Insulated Ski Pants Stretch Pants Fedoras & Snap Brims Hats Assorted Printed T-Shirts Down Booties SUNFLOWER 804 Massachusetts 843-5000 THE ATHLETE'S FOOT WINTER CLEARANCE SALE! JANUARY 16-30 UP TO 50% OFF SELECT MERCHANDISE Reebok WE'RE SELLING OUR SOLES FOR PRACTICALLY NOTHING Whether you work out religiously or just every now and then, do some sole searching During our huge clearance sale, you'll find a wide selection of famous name footwear and apparel at tremendous savings. So for heaven's sake, depending on what sport you're into - run, walk, jump or bounce into The Athlete's Foot. 942 Massachusetts 841-6966