University Daily Kansan / Monday, December 4, 1989 Nation/World 7 New Czech leaders denounced as unfit The Associated Press PRAGUE, Czechoslovakia — Communist leaders named a new government yesterday that includes non-Communists for the first time in 21 years, but it was immediately denounced because of the large number of holdovers from the last Cabinet. Premier Ladislav Adamec said the government was open to "radical changes," but opposition leaders called for a renewal of mass street cleaning and issued a general strike if the ministers were not replaced in a week. The new government includes five non-Communists, but the other 16 members are Communists, and 13 served on the previous Cabinet. It failed to meet opposition demands for a non-Communist interior minister, who is in charge of police, and a civil defense minister. As he swore in the Cabinet, President Gustav Husak indicated that he may be ready to step down, as the opposition has demanded. Husak was elected in 1982, and he reforms in 1988, and he is the last of those leaders still in power. One of the government's first acts was to propose talks with Moscow on the future of the 80,000 Soviet troops in Czechoslovakia since the Warsaw Pact invasion 21 years ago. Strike committees have been on alert since last week's protest, and workers said yesterday that they were ready to leave their jobs again. World Briefs The opposition also seeks new laws that would anchor the democratic rights of assembly and free press and pave the way for free elections. ELECTIONS IN TAIWAN: The opposition in Taiwan made strong gains in the island's first multiparty elections and handed the Nationalist Party an embarrassing defeat in the hometown of Taiwan's president, according to election results released yesterday. Ballot-rigging and noisy protests marred Saturday's election, the first national vote since the Nationalist Party lifted military law in 1975. Nationalists have打倒台湾后向 Taiwan for support. 1949 defeat by the Communists in China's civil war. Thousands of angry opposition supporters surrounded government office buildings in several cities Saturday, calling for recounts or demanding results. Protesters broke windows in one city. The opposition Democratic Progressive Party claimed "a great victory." With nearly all districts reporting, the Nationalists were garnering 55 percent of the popular vote, while the opposition won about 35 percent. The rest went to independents. PLAY-DOH CREATOR DIES: Tien Lui, who helped develop the Play-Doh synthetic molding clay that children have enjoyed for decades, has died. Lui died Thursday in Cincinnati. He was believed to be in his 80s, but there were no records of his birth in Lui came to the United States in 1924 to attend Cornell University. He earned a doctorate in agricultural biology, then taught pharmaceutical science and conducted research. In 1967, Lui was hired by Rainbow Crafts Inc., to develop a soft sculpting substance that would be easy for small children to use. Working with Joseph Hill, he either owned the company, Lui formulated Play-Doh. Representatives of the Indian guru met with developers Saturday in Oklahoma City to discuss plans for a low-density housing community proposed by the Maharishi Heaven on Earth Development Corp. It is one of several such communities planned across the nation, backers said. QURU PROPOSES HEAVENLY CITY: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, founder of Transcendental Meditation and one-time guru to the Beatles, is proposing a City of Immortals somewhere in Oklahoma to start building his vision of Heaven on Earth. Backers said the communities would be "noise-free, pollution-free and free from crime and anxiety." Scott Demaree, a Sillwater builder who acts as Oklahoma liaison for the Mailbu, Calif.-based corporation, said it was hoped that ground could be broken as early as April near Tulsa, Oklahoma City or Sillwater. Homes, which would be set on a minimum one-creat plot, would range from $60,000 to several hundred thousand dollars, Demaree said. Aquino promises to finish what rebels started The Associated Press MANILA, Philippines — Government forces battled rebel holdouts yesterday after driving off an assault on military headquarters by forces from Ammo. More than 600 rebels surrendered. Defense Secretary Fidel Ramos said the government had crushed the attempted coup. Aquino ruled out a cease-fire and vowed: "What they started, we will finish." Junior- and middle-grade officers in several provincial commands declared their support for the rebellion, which began Friday. About 100 students were arrested at Base in Cebu, 360 miles southeast of Manila. Aquino, facing her sixth coup attempt since coming to power four years ago, rejected suggestions by Cabinet members that she declare a "state of siege," according to assistant Press Secretary Lourdes Sytanage. That would be taintment to martial law. At least 56 people have been killed and more of the 500 wounded since Friday, according to hospital officials. More than 10,000 people fled their homes to escape the fighting and were housed in schools, churches and other refugee centers. Many streets are closed, and garbage piled high in the streets. Schools were closed indefinitely, but officials planned to reopen the international airport (JFK). Pro-government forces contained hundreds of rebels in an 11-building area in the financial district of Makati, where numerous foreign embassies are located and where many foreign diplomats and businessmen live, said military Chief of Staff Gen. Renato de Vila. Government troops blocked off avenues lead- to make Makati. Rebels fired volleys of machine-gun fire from skySCRAPERS, and snipers shot at vehicles. Among the buildings rebels occupied was the Intercontinental Hotel. Radio station DZRH broadcast an appeal for ambulances, saying many civilians lay wounded along Makati's Pasay Road. A spokesman for the U.S.-run Clark Air Base said there were no U.S. warplanes in the skies over Manila yesterday. U.S. jets began flying cover for government troops Friday, at Aqui's request. But U.S. officials said the planes ended those flights at 6 a.m. Saturday. President Bush said yesterday in Malta that he was prepared to take additional military action to defend the Philippine government if American lives were threatened or if Aquino requested help. The United States has six military bases in the Philippines, which are the focus of extensive opposition in the Philippines Senate and in the military, where critics say they infringe on national sovereignty. In Cebu, government helicopters dropped leaflets urging rebels to surrender. Brig. Gen. Jose de Leon, commander of the Philippine air force, said pilots assigned to the important air base had refused to join the rebellion. Military Chief of Staff Gen. Renato de Villa said he expected the Mactan rebels to surrender today. Although most provincial garrisons did not mutiny, there were indications that the rebels enjoyed support among many junior- and middle-grade officers in the provinces. Recipient of liver improves The Associated Press CHICAGO — A 21-month-old girl was drinking liquids, growing more alert and doing well Saturday, five days after becoming the nation's first living-donor liver-transplant recipient. While Alyssa Githre recovered with her mother, who gave the child part of her liver a week ago, surgeons at the university of Chicago meditated before declaring that 15-month-old Tennessee girl could undergo a similar operation. "Doctors will continue to evaluate and assess the options and decide whether she still fits the protocol for implant, said spokesman John Eastham. Sarina Jones of Millington, Tenn., remained in serious condition in the hospital's intensive care unit, a day after she was flown in by air ambulance and taken by helicopter to the hospital, Easton said. Sarina suffered from an infection recently, and was not considered an immediate candidate for surgery. "It doesn't look like it's going to be this weekend," said medical center spokeswoman Mary Fetsch. "It's tentatively set for Wednesday." Sarina's parents, Robert, 20, and Michelle, 21, who live near Memphis, arrived Friday night, a few hours after their daughter. "They said our chances were small,but they're still claims,"said the father,a dry-wall installer and contractor. Both little girls suffered from biliary atresia, a usually fatal genetic disorder involved in more liver transplants than other aliments. at layhawk Bookstore 1420 Crescent Rd., Lawrence, KS. 66044 (913) 843-3826 Hrs: 8-5 M-F 9-5 Sat. 12-4 Sun The Christmas Idea Place Christmas Cards Christmas Cards Giftwrap, Sacks, Tins Stuffed Animals, Slippers 1990 Calendars, Datebooks Games, T-Shirts, Stickers Precious Moments, Musicals Stationery, Picture Frames Crabtree & Evelyn, Potpourri Balloons, Candy Balloons, Candy Mon.-Thurs. 9:30-8:30 * Fri.-Sat. 9:30-5:30 * Sunday 1:00-5:00 843-1099 * Downtown * 8th and Mass.