University Daily Kansan / Wednesday, February 8, 1989 Sports 13 MU coach under NCAA questioning The Associated Press KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A tape recording of a conversation between a Missouri assistant basketball coach and a former player's mother allegedly reveals the school broke CAA rules by buying the sores so the player could go home and return to campus. The Kansas City Times, which reported the alleged violation in a copyrighted story yesterday by Mike Fish, also said that the former player, P.J. Mays of Cincinnati, told Missouri athletic officials and media conversation that he and two other players each received $100 in cash from the same assistant coach, Bob Sundold. According to Yvonne Mays, the former player's mother, she reported the purchase of the airline ticket to Missouri Athletic Director Dick Tamburo and Carl Setterren, Missouri's faculty representative to the NCAA and the Big Eight Conference, during a three-hour interview Sunday at her home in Cincinnati. She also told them of the tape-recorded conversation in which Sundvold said, "I have made a worse error in trying to help a bug." Mouri coach norm Stewart said Monday: "I'd have to hear the tape. The only thing we have heard was what was reported to us, that P.J. had made some comments. We'll just have to wait and see." Sundvold said: "I can't comment. I'll have to let Mr. Tamburo do all the speaking. We have turned in a self-report. After the findings are brought in, maybe I can make a statement." Yvonne Mays said Tamburo told her Sunday that Sundvd reported the violation to him Dec. 27, almost overnight, and a record conversation of Nov. 16. Tamburo said Monday that he had notified an unidentified NCAA official within the last two weeks of the ticket purchases but said he had no knowledge of players being paid. Tamburo and Settergren would neither confirm nor deny that Sunday's interview had taken place, but Mays said Monday she had a tape recording of that meeting. However, Mays said Tamburo had given her his business card, which was how she knew he was the Missouri athletic director. Mays said that at the Sunday meeting, she allowed the Missouri officials to see the airline tickets issued in late October by Sundwell. P. J. Mays, who was declared ineligible before the start of the current season, said he also told Tamburo and Settergraf of other possible violations, including $100 cash payments last summer from Sundvold in the presence of Rich Daly, another assistant coach, to Mays at just two other freshmen. Coleman and Mike Wawryznik. Yvonne Mays said that at the meeting Sunday, Tamburo nor Settergren asked to listen to the taped conversation, during which Sundveld asked her to tell another school official, academic counselor Chris Sinatra-Osttund, that there had been a misunderstanding and that Mays had reimbursed Missouri for the tickets. "That's the main thing that has to be done," she said. "So that Chiria Sinatra doesn't feel like she thought a big-time violation occurred. Understand what I am saying. Now I can go in and say, 'Hey, Chris P. J. repaid the money yesterday. I'm not worrying about it any more.' I'll say, 'Chris, it's over with and done with.'" Sinatra-Ostlund would not comment on the situation other than to say she did not tell anyone else of the violation, adding, "I'm sure I'm not the only one that was aware of it." Yvonne Mays said Stewart knew it as of the last week in December. "After Sundvolv self-reported this ticket, I had not from Norm Streau, yet," she said Sunday. "I had to call him." "When I talked to him, his comment was. 'What harm did the man do? All he was trying to do was help a kid. He was working for it, for its years and have nothing but the highest regard for him." Jayhawks will attempt comeback against Oklahoma State Cowboys by Mike Considine Kansan sportswriter Two teams that have been heading in opposite directions meet at 7:30 tonight in a Big Eight Conference game at Allen Field House. Kansas (16-6 overall, 3-4 in the Big Eight) has lost three straight games while trying to register the school's 1,400 all-time victory. Oklahoma State, the Jayhawks' oppponent, has won eight of its last 10 games. The Cowboys, 16-4, 2-3 are third in the league after upsetting top-ranked Oklahoma, 77-73, Saturday. The fourth-place Jayhawks have been out-rebounded in each of the last four games. Kansas is ranked last in Big Eight rebounding with an average of 36 in seven conference games. Against Oklahoma, the Cowboys showed why they lead the Big Eight in rebounding. Oklahoma State, which averages 45 rebounds a game in conference games, out-rebounded the Sooners, 55-43. "We said in the early season that if we let the inside play determine who win or loses the game, we're in trouble, because that's not one of our strengths," Williams said. "I think that's even more true now that Sean Cox was back when he lapsed up. We're more limited in what we can do and in our size." "I's almost like, when a shot is taken, Oklahoma State coach Leonard Hamilton) starts smiling because he knows they have a great chance to get the rebound." Kansas coach Roy Williams said. Williams said Oklahoma State would be a difficult team to use full-court defensive pressure against because of its quickness. "I think the more you pressure people, the more you have to be able to fight with them on the offensive board," Williams said, "because their shots are going to go up that much quicker." Oklahoma State is winless in five road games, including two in the Big Eight. "We still have shown signs of being inconsistent," Hamilton said. "You can look at the fact that we're making progress, but I feel that it's about time." Oklahoma State's leading scorer is 6-foot-7 sophomore Richard Dumas. Dumas, who was the Big Eight Player-of-the-Week, averages 16.2 points and 7.2 rebounds each game. Freshman center Byron Houston scored 40 points each time he is the leading rebounder with an 8.5 average. "A lot of teams have young talent that contributes a lot, but the whole backbone of their team is young." Williams said. "In those terms, it may be as good a young basketball team as I've seen." Almost 85 percent of the Cowboys' scoring comes from freshmen and sophomores. Hamilton said Kansas' experience concerned him. "They are a very smart basketball team with good shooting and ballhandling skills," he said. "They work hard, and they have to be aware enough to make Game 23 Kansas Jayhawks Coach: Roy Williams Record: 16-6 (3-4) Oklahoma State Cowboys Coach: Leonard Hamilton Record: 13-6 (4-2) PROBABLE STARTERS Player Ht. PPG Player Ht. PPG F-Mark Randall 6.9 15.8 F-Richard Dumas 6.7 16.2 M-Filt Newton 6.4 16.8 F-Royce Jeffries 6.6 12.9 C-Sean Alvarado 6.10 4.7 C-Byron Houston 6.7 14.4 K-Gevin Pritchard 6.3 14.6 G-Chris Galnfay 6.4 11.9 G-Scooter Barry 6.4 7.8 G-Corey Williams 6.2 11.9 **Game notes:** Kansas leads the series 77-41. Kansas has won the last 11 games in the series and 22 of the last 23 in Lawrence. The game is number 12 on the Student Ticket Package. It will be broadcast on the Jayhawk network (Channels 27 and 41) and on KLZR 106-FM and KJHK 90.7-FM. Tipoff is 8:08 p.m. at Allen Field House. adjustments." Williams said Kansas had to be more aggressive offensively to end its losing streak. He said that getting the ball inside would help the team improve its cold shooting. Kansas made just 73 of 175 shots (41.7 percent) in losses to Kansas State, Missouri and Nebraska. "Either we have to pass it inside or drive it inside," he said. has made just 12 of 40 shots (30 percent) during the losing streak, began driving toward the basket and scored the second half against Nebraska. Senior forward Milt Newton, who "I've been settling for the open jump shot too much," said Newton, who scored 11 of his 13 points in the second half. "I used to drive a lot, but then I was told to take the jump shot. Now I'm going to go back to driving because that opens up both dimensions of my game." Soccer club awaiting decision on varsity status by Beth Behrens Kansan sportswriter The waiting is almost over for the KU Soccer Club. Coach Glenn Shirtliffe said the club had considered the possibility of attaining varsity status for the last three years. Almost one year has passed since the club submitted its original proposal for varisity status. The finance committee of the University of Kansas Athletic Corporation will return its recommendation today, a step which will determine the status of the club. "We submitted a preliminary proposal last April," Shirttiff laff said. "We then renewed the proposal with an amended version last fall. It came up on the agenda at the last KUAC meeting and now we are waiting for the finance committee to come up with its recommendations." Renate Mai-Dallon, chairman of the KUAC finance committee, said the decision was more financial than anything else. "The board charged us with determining the position the committee Mai-Dalton said she would not be able to release the financial committee's decision until today. must take, based on information received from the club, added together with information from other departments." Mai-Dalton said. Shirtliffe said he had already seen some of the committee's recommendations. "I can't say we're very happy." Shirtlife said. "We submitted a very limited proposal. We asked for no scholarships, limited travel and a limited compensation for a coach. We were estimating $30,000-$35,000 for the men's team and about the same for a women's team." If the soccer club receives varsity status, a women's team must also be established, he said. The club currently has two 20-member squads. Shirtliffe the club had offered a fund-raising proposal to cover the costs. The students were supported independently by KUAC, partially with help from Student Senate See KUAC,p.14,col.2 Critics say NL's move is positive The Associated Press NEW YORK — Bob Gibson is asking "Is that all there is?" and honing the answer is "No." Gibson is pleased that Bill White was elected National League president, but he wonders what baseball leagues do but more blacks at the executive level. "Everything that happens is encouraging," said Gibson. "Whether it happens fast enough is something different." Gibson, the Hall of Fame right-hander, was a pitching coach for the New York Mets and the Atlanta Braves at times since his retirement. He said that he was angered when he heard that blacks did not get front-office jobs because they lacked experience. "It certainly has nothing to do with intelligence or being able to handle a job, I think we know that now." Gibson said. "Being qualified, in my opinion, is a very negative word. It upset me about as much as calling me a name. Especially when you see some of baffoons that are..." Borg taken to hospital after taking barbiturates he was the best man for the job Gibson, however, believes that any hirings, even if token, are helpful. "I don't necessarily see that that's negative." Gibson said. "There's a pair of 'Archie Bunkers' in the world that never really have experienced just being in the same room with a (black) person. And having a person in a position to wake up one day and say, 'That person's really not that bad,' maybe there is something to be said for it. Gibson cut himself off, before he said things he would regret. "The more jobs that are gotten, the more you are going to be able to dispel the myths that have been going on for years. There's always going to be some of it. You have to have somebody to hate." Baseball officials were equally choosy with their words last week, repeatedly saying that White was not a token selection. Peter O'Malley, owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and head of the search committee, said that White was picked because she was the best man for the job." white Wine is being added to the high echelon, there still are no black general managers. The Associated Press MILAN, Italy — Former tennis star Bjorn Borg was briefly hospitalized yesterday after taking sleeping pills that aggravated a queasy stomach and sparked an allergic reaction. He attempted his personal adviser said. Italian news agencies initially reported that the five-time Wimbledon champion could have swallowed as many as no barbiturates they said later, however, that they had no official confirmation. The 32 year-old Borg was rushed by ambulance to the intensive care unit of Milan Polyclinic from a downtown apartment where he was staying with his Italian husband, rock singer Loreda Borte. Borg was released about four hours later, after his stomach was pumped, and returned home by the 41-year-old entertainer. "I'm fine, it's all over," Borg told reporters outside the apartment. After being treated, Alverdal said Borg went home "and announced from there that he felt perfectly all right." "Go away, all of you," Berte said before slamming the door. "Borg felt sick and took karabiturates to fall asleep." Alverdal was quoted as saying, "But his nausea got worse and in the morning, on doctors advice, went to the hospital." In Stockholm, the national news agency TT said Borg's personal adviser Ingmar Ailveral called on the minister to allow him ill after eating at a restaurant. also said in contacting the hospital officials confirmed that Borg had been treated, but they refused to give any details. However, the Italian news agency ANSA said, "From initial police investigations, it appears to have been a suicide attempt." But the agency later said it could get no official confirmation. Mara Savastano, a friend of the couple, said the singer told her that Borg suffered from food poisoning. ANSA quoted unidentified hospital sources as saying Borg might have swallowed about to pills, but the doctors said that report could not be confirmed. Borg's quick release did not necessarily knock down the Italian agency's report. He said a patient could be released after a few hours or held for 24-hour observation depending on the situation. The former occurs if doctors decide, after analysis, that the patient is well known and/or if the patient himself asks to be released and signs a document. A doctor at Rome's Polyclinic hospital's anti-poison center, who asked not to be identified, said there were no firm rules regarding overdoses and that they were decided on a case-by-case basis. Borg retired in 1983 at the age of 27. He now runs a fashion business and helps promote tourism for Sweden. During his playing days, Borg was considered a model sportsman and had no known problems with drugs or alcohol. Borg and Berte recently announced they would be married in Milan on Feb 26. But recent newspaper reports said the date was postponed because Berte's father, Roberto Bergera was still pending. Borg was previously married to Romanian-born tennis player Mariana Simonescu. After divorcing in 1983, Borg took up with Swedish woman Jannie Bjorling, then 17. The couple have a 3-year-old son, Robin. Borg and Berte, a throaty-voiced, dark-haired singer whose recent hits include "Angelo Americano" (American Angel), have been photographed by him. They were recently photographed together on a trip to China. In an interview published Monday in the Stockholm tabloid Afonbladet, Björling said Borg had trouble with relationships. "No woman can fulfill Bjorn's fantasies," she was quoted as saying, "Now we'll see if Loreda can do it. Bjorn is a twin. A twin has two sides — like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hvide. He's two persons." The article said that Borg was considering demanding custody of his son if he moved abroad with Berte. Bioring, meantime, said she would go to court to block any such move. Former tennis star Bjorn Borg, pictured here playing in a 1984 tournament in Syracuse, N.Y., was briefly hospitalized after taking sleeping pills, according to Italian News Agencies.