University Daily Kansan / Wednesday, February 1, 1989 Nation/World 7 Soviet, U.S. planes nearly hit The Associated Press NEW DELHI, India - The jet carrying the U.S. Embassy staff out of Kabul yesterday narrowly missed hitting a Soviet transport plane approaching the besieged capital of Afghanistan, the two senior U.S. diplomats said. seller U.S. u.s.upbones said. "We had a near-collision 10 minutes after takeoff with an incoming flight from the north," said Charge d'Affaires Jon Glassman after the chartered Indian Airlines Boeing 737 arrived in New Delhi. "Air traffic control at Kabul is never very good," said Jim Schumaker, the second-ranking diplomat at the Kabul embassy, which closed Monday. He said the plane carrying the last 11 Kabul staff members came within a mile of a collision with the Soviet Ilyushin-76 transport. Both men praised pilot R.C. Maulay for his quick and expert evasive action. and expense "we drank a champagne toast after crossing the Afhenbah border." Schumaker said. Afghan border, Seminusak said. Maulay is a veteran of flights in and out of the Kabul airport, which requires steep corkscrew landings and takeoffs. The airport sits on the Kabul plain, which is turned into a geological bowl by surrounding hills and mountains. Planes routinely drop flares designed to divert heat-seeking missiles fired by Muslim guerrillas camped in the heights around the city. the city. In closing the embassy, the United States cited fears of deteriorating security after all Red Army soldiers left. Soviet military forces entered Afghanistan in December 1979 to help the Marxist government fight Muslim guerrillas. All are to be gone by Feb. 15 under a U.N.-mediated withdrawal agreement. The last U.S. Embassy personnel to leave were Glassman, Schumaker, five other U.S. Foreign Service staffers and four U.S. Marine guards. Other Western nations also are closing their en- tire offices and removed its remaining staff members Saturday. Most non-communist nations, including the United States, removed their ambassadors from Kabul in protest after Soviet troops arrived. Pan Am Flight 103: lost dead buried The Associated Press LOCKERHIE, Scotland — A lone bagpiper played a Scottish lament and relatives hugged and wept yesterday at a symbolic burial service for 17 people whose bodies were later after the crash of Pan Am Flight 103. A single black casket containing the ashes of unidentified remains was lowered into a grave at Dryfesdale Cemetery outside Lockerbelle* the strains of "Flowers of the Forest." The 30-minute prayer service was attended by about 500 mourners, including 34 relatives of six missing Americans. The ashes represented the Americans, one Canadian, three Hungarians and seven Lockerbie residents whose bodies were either not found or identified. Police called off the search last week. A bomb exploded aboard the New York-bound Flight 103 on Dec. 21, killing 259 people aboard and 11 on the ground. The coffin was lowered into the grave by representatives of the airline, the police, the armed forces and other rescue services. some relatives threw soil into the grave or left personal mementos at the graveside. These included a photograph of Nicole Boulanger, 21 of Shreswury, Mass., and a newspaper clipping telling of one of her successful performances as a drama student. Among the missing were Tom and Rosalind Flannigan, whose 10-year-old daughter, Joanne, is buried nearby. U. S. Consul General Douglas James, representatives of the airline and the British and Hungarian governments presented wreaths. Orson Welles would turn in his grave The Associated Press NEW YORK — If Orson Welles were alive today, he would likely be fuming about "goats and monkeys." That's how the celebrated filmmaker of "Citizen Kane" often referred to Hollywood studio executives who tampered with his movies was a character, Shakespeare is "the Wife and Welles was indeed a classicist and a genius. But despite his artistry and the acclaim he received after his brilliant work on 1941's "Citizen Kane" — considered by many to be the greatest movie ever made — he never was able to direct another Hollywood film without major inter-ference from the front office, Welles. 'Citizen Kane' to be colorized who died in 1985, often boasted that it was the only film that never was taken away from him. But even "Citizen Kane" is no longer immune to tampering. Turner Entertainment Co., which infuriated filmmakers and movie buffs by colorizing "Casablanca" and "It's a Wonderful Life," among others, has announced plans to give Weiner 'classic the same treatment' for television. Turner acquired the rights to the movie in 1985 when he bought MGM-UA Entertainment Corp., with its massive film library, for $1.5 billion. Directors, including Woody Allen, the late John Huston and Billy Wilder, and such actors as Jimmy Stewart, took their fight against colorization to Congress, pushing for legislation to create a national film commission with powers over the color-enhancement computerized process. They have argued that the process destroys the original work of art, changing mood and intent. Turner argues that he is tapping into a new audience for old movies of the 1930s and 40s by appealing to people who grew up on color TV. "I like things in color. We see in color." Turner said. "I'm colorizing 'Casablaanca' just for controversy's sake. Once people start watching the colored version, they won't bother with the original." However, while Turner presents the colorized versions on his two cable TV networks, other commercial networks continue to show the black-and-white originals and attract large audiences. Although many movies had been made in color by 1941, notably "Gone With the Wind," "The Wizard of Oz" and "A Star Is Born," Welles considered black-and-white essential to setting the proper mood for his film. Johnny can't add, according to study U.S. teens rank last in math and score poorly in science The Associated Press WASHINGTON — Teen-agers in the United States scored last in math and well below the mean in science in an international survey whose results "pose a serious challenge to our position in the world community." The Educational Testing Service said yesterday. The U.S. youngsters were outperformed in math by their counterparts in four other countries and four Canadian provinces and were among the worst science achievers in the assessment of 24,000 13-year-olds. assessment of progress in low- how many times must this nation be reminded of its educational deficit? Secretary of Education Lauro Cavazos said in a statement, referring to repeated findings that U.S. children perform poorly in math and science. ETS officials tried to put a less pessimistic face on their findings, noting that almost all of the U.S. teen-agers demonstrated mastery of basic math skills and knowledge of everyday science facts. Cavazos called the situation "national tragedy," and other educators termed the survey results frightening and devastating. "We are making improvements on our own terms. We are educating every child in America," said Archie Lapointe, executive director of the ETS Center for the Assessment of Educational Progress. But Albert Shanker, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said elementary school teachers wouldn't be able to deliver unless they were required to take math and science courses to qualify for their licenses. "We've got a long way to go before we turn it around." Shanker said. The assessment, financed by the National Science Foundation and the department of Education, was based on tests of students in Ireland, South Korea, Spain, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Canada's British Columbia, New Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec. The last three were divided into French- and English-speaking samples. Korean students demonstrated the highest overall mathematics achievement while those from the United States and French-speaking Ontario showed the lowest. Youths in South Korea and British Columbia turned in the highest grades of the United States, along with Ireland and French-speaking Ontario and New Brunswick, "perform well below the mean," the report said. Ship sinks off Antarctica by the high winds. BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) - An Argentine ship sank last night in heavy seas and more than 50 mph winds on the Antarctic Peninsula, three days after running aground and leaking oil, the government said. The oceanographic ship Bahia Paraiso sank at about 10 p.m., the government news agency Telam said, citing a navy communique. Salvage efforts had been hampered No injuries were reported. Tourists aboard and the crew had been evacuated. Telam did not say whether the ship broke up or if diesel oil spilled. MILITARY EXEMPTION EXTENDED: The National Science Foundation spokesman Jack Renerie said in Washington earlier Tuesday that an oil leak that was threatening penguins and other wildlife had stopped. News Briefs Until recently, only the sons of Holocaust victims were exempted from West Germany's compulsory military service. referrer program. "The decision to extend the exemption is in keeping with a long-standing desire for reconciliation." Scholz said. MILITARY EXEMPTION EXTENDED. The military service exemption for sons of Jewish victims of the Holocaust has been extended to the grandchildren of those persecuted, West German Defense Minister Rupert Schultz said yesterday in an interview with the Hamburg-based Panorama television program. Germany. Scholz said the decision was made at the request of the West German Jewish Council. The Jewish Council made its request after a Frankfurt court ruled against a Jewish man who asked that he be exempted because his grandfather had been a victim of Nazi persecution. During his three-day stay, Shevardnazde is to take part in two rounds of talks with his Chinese counterpart, Qian Qichen, and will meet with Premier Li Peng. He also is to travel to Shanghai for a meeting Saturday with China's top leader, Deng Xiaooping. SINO-SVOIET SUMMIT: Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze arrives today in China to put the final touches on preparations for the first Sino-Soviet summit between the two communist giants split in bitter rivalry 30 years ago. Sonewardnade's visit comes after a year of progress in bilateral relations expected to culminate this spring when Mihail Gorbachev becomes the first Soviet leader to travel to China since 1959. NEW X-RAY GUIDELINES: A Food and Drug Administration panel yesterday said that children with healthy teeth may need dental X-rays no more than once every year or two, and dentally healthy adults once every two or three years. The panel's guidelines, reported in the current issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association, were prompted by concern among some experts about the frequency of dental X-rays, both overuse and underuse. "Although the radiation risk from a dental X-ray is extremely low, our goal is to eliminate any unneeded radiation exposure." Frank E. Young said in an news release. Young also stressed the flexibility of the guidelines. "These are not hard and fast rules," he said. "In deciding whether an X-ray is needed, the dentist must use clinical evidence in evaluating the patient's needs." The guidelines say that children and adults generally do not need X-rays each time they see a dentist if they are not at high risk and show no signs of dental disease. SOVIET CRIME STATISTICS: The Soviet government, in keeping with a new policy to disclose crime statistics, said yesterday that 111 murders were committed in the entire country in January. Militia Col. Yuri Arshenvsky, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, was quoted by Tass as saying previously classified information "seiforth" will be available for everyone. case for murder in January 1988, New York City reported 152 cases of murder and non-negligent manslaughter.